Problem calibrating map using PA Map Manager

Questions and problems regarding PathAway Map Manager

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

JensR

Problem calibrating map using PA Map Manager

Postby JensR » Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 am

Hi!

I am currently testing PathAway on my Palm T|X to see if it could be a nice companion on hikes during my USA trip. So far it seems to be what I am looking for. :)

I am experiencing some issues calibrating some maps that I downloaded from various hiking websites.

Example:
Death Valley NP - Golden Canyon Trail Map
http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/DEVA/Go ... en_Map.htm
According to the site the map is "NAD27 CONUS; UTM Zone 11S".

Following is my procedure:
- Callibration Type: Lat/Long (Rectangular)
- Map Datum: N American Datum 1927 - ConUS
- Coordinate Grid: UTM
- Coordinate Type: Known Points
- 1st Point: Map X,Y: 116,126; Grid: 11S; Northing: 4031000; Easting: 514000

Problem: When I click "Next >" and then "< Prev" the Norting value changes into 4031202. With other Maps I am experiencing the same issue with the Easting value.

As I am no coordinate expert, I thought that this would be ok and due to rounding errors due to the internal coordinate representation. But when I then entered points from the map's website in PathAway on my Palm the points were off their expected positions.

Trying the built-in calibration on the Palm allowed to fix this issue (I could enter the coordinates without them getting changed). But I do not want to re-calibrate all maps on the PDA.

I found out that I could enter 4030800 as Norting in PW Map Manager to have it changed into 4031002 that is nearly 4031000, but this is cumbersome.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance, greetings from Germany,
Jens

Return to “PathAway Map Manager”