Converting duration and File Size

Questions and problems regarding PathAway Map Manager

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Wildgoose

Converting duration and File Size

Postby Wildgoose » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi,

I am now testing PW in the current version on a Palm TX cause I intend to purchase it for my next trip.

I have a couple of sat-images which are already georeferenced with a .jpr file. The mapfiles are jpg, about 9200 x 9000 pixels and 24 bit color, and about 12 MB in size.,

When converting the files to PW-mapfiles using Map Manager, converting one file takes 2 hours on a P4 / 3GHz. And the output .prc file is about 160 MB on size even when color is reduzed to 16 bit. Compression was enabled but I guess output file was not compressed. Anyway, rendering the map on the Palm TX was acceptable when scrolling, when zooming it takes long time.

Is it normal that file conversion takes so long time and that output file is so huge?

Thanks,
Paul

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 am

Convert the maps to 8 bit then the size will be about 60% from now.
I do the same for my sat images and following settings:
Color: 256
Palette: Octree
Method: Nearest, with included Windows color

Wildgoose

Postby Wildgoose » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Thanks for reply, but thats not an option. 8-bit by Sat-images is poor. 16-bit is required. BTW ... why can TTQV make from the same source only a 28 MB big file (a friend of mine tested) and the original PW Map Manager cannot? Seems there is something wrong.

No option for using ECW or something what is more a defacto-standard.

Paul

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Touratech uses 8-bit but also creates an optimized palette. You would be best to first use an Graphic Editor and convert to an 8-bit optimized BMP file, then use Map Manager and convert to 8-bit Compressed.

zuber

Postby zuber » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I was using SmartComGPS (OziExplorer clone) on my Symbian phone.

Map conversion was very fast for it and also map size was pretty small - and it was using 24 bit color maps :)

Also - the program itself was working really fast (map scroll, map zoom).

Return to “PathAway Map Manager”