further Enhancements...

Enter ideas to be considered for future versions.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Arturus

further Enhancements...

Postby Arturus » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:39 pm

I find Pathaway a great programme to use on my Palm, but would like to see the following..!

Tiles - when I get to the edge of a map tile on the screen the area outside the tile is blank until the tile is moved so that the blank area is over the cursor in the middle of the screen, then the new tile is loaded in.
Would it be possible for all adjacent tiles to be displayed simultaneously to give the appearance of a continious and seamless map?

Tracks - I use my Palm and GPS when out sea kayaking. (Palm is not out on deck - but safe and dry inside the kayak). At the end of the day I copy the Active log from the GPS into the Palm to review on a map where I've been. It would be REALLY useful if Pathaway could do some analysis of this track. For example: length of track, time duration, max speed, etc. I know I could move the track back onto a PC when I get home - but there does not seem to be a standard way to store tracks so that other GPS programmes can easily process them.

(Tracks saved on the GPS and then copied to the Palm seem to loose the time data and so are less useful, unless anyone knows of more modern GPS unitls that save the time data? )

Also - I would like to think that with Pathaway and a GPS I wouldn't need a PC at all - (except for getting the maps into Pathaway format of course).

Also - a 'beffier' track management section to Pathaway would be useful - I have so many tracks now that the screen refresh can be quite slow, but it would seem I can only switch then all on or all off...

Thanks.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Map tiles. This is a highly requested feature and is an important priority for us.

RE: Track logs not getting time data:
Some importers may not be interpreting the time/date in the text delimited version of the track.
After conversion to text delimited format using PWDBConvert Trackname.pdb, The Time field in Trackname.pwt is stored as
Track log .pwt file Date/Time field format:
HHMMSS DDMMYYYY
HH = hour
MM = minutes
SS = seconds
DD = day
MM = month
YYYY = full year

ie. "133159 06072005" is time 13:31.59 (or 1:31.59 pm) on July 6, 2005.

What method are you using to convert the track log?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:15 pm

Scott wrote:What method are you using to convert the track log?

It's not really that I can't do the conversion, (I probably could if I spent some time on it), it's just that PathAway is such a good programme why would I have to use a PC and another mapping utility to add functionallity that could be added to PathAway? The Palm and your software would then be able to do everything I need in the field and away from any desktop machine.

Again - just being able to manage tracks, calcultate track distance, time, etc would be very useful.

Thanks.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:23 pm

Scott wrote:
RE: Track logs not getting time data:
Some importers may not be interpreting the time/date in the text delimited version of the track.

The issue here is that with my Garmin eTrex if I save the active track in the GPS unit into it's own memory store it throws away the time data. (We discussed this many months ago via e-mail.. :) )

At the time I couldn't understand why there was no time/date date in my track logs when moved onto the Palm. I get around this now by moving the Active log in the GPS straight to Pathaway in the Palm. I do this daily at the end of a journey hopefully keeping the time/date data for posterity.

Return to “PathAway for Palm OS - Suggestions”