Desperatly waiting for iPhone Pathaway Version

Enter general ideas or complaints to be considered for future versions.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

iPhone4

Desperatly waiting for iPhone Pathaway Version

Postby iPhone4 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi Developers,

I know that you are working on a iPhone version and I am desperatly waiting for it to get ready, because my Palm Treo 680 is a real pain, unstable and slow and I am not willing to buy a Windows mobile device. So please, please get the iPhone app ready as fast as possible, it will be a Blockbuster!!!

Regards

Mathias

iPhone4

Postby iPhone4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:47 am

I am using Pathaway for years now, first on a Palm 650, then on a Palm 680. But these devices are way out of date. So since a few months I am using a iPhone 3GS. But there is no App for it that comes even close to Pathaway. I tried a few different ones like MotionX GPS, but all are missing the feature to import maps like Pathaway does it together with Touratech that I am using.

iPhone4

Postby iPhone4 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:10 am

Thanks a lot for the fast answer this time!

Yeah, this are the best news since I bought my iPhone :-) and Pathaway is my most wanted App for it (I spend already about 500,- EUR on Apps for it, mainly business stuff, no games).

Some Suggestions:

- support for the build in compass of the 3GS
- Copy & Paste Support for GPS coordinates (for example copy the coordinates from a website to Pathaway and fit them into a waypoint)
- support for map export format used by Touratech (Palm or PPC)
- easy way to transfer map files to the iPhone (WLAN or USB Support).
- easy way to export GPS Tracks back to the computer for import to Touratech (WLAN or USB Support)
- contact TomTom for the external GPS module and add a battery pack on to it. I bat it will sell very well, because the iPhone uses up a lot of power when in GPS mode. I will buy one for the same price than the TomTom Car Kit (100 EUR).

davetimpy

Postby davetimpy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Put me on the WTB list for the Pathaway Iphone app. Great news its on the way. The sooner the better.

Four suggestions:

1. Start a new thread for suggestions.
2. Allow input of the coordinates of the map, preferably four corners. I have high resolution maps with known lat/longs. These need to be calibrated also, which can be done fugawi Marine ENC.
3. KML/KMZ output and input file creation. This would allow a link to the Google Earth Google Maps world. Viewing these files from on an Iphone currently requires uploading them to a web server. Maybe you can shortcut this. I hope so.
4. Talk to Apple before creating something for Google, it may produce some unexpected benefits.

Thanks for working on an Iphone app. I have been waiting for about 10 years for some decent hardware to come out. I started with several PDA's and have tried all the other smartphones. Laptops are two big, still. Then I jumped on the Iphone band wagon. The Iphone is not quite there yet but its really close to what I need. I don't think Apple is aware of they have created.

Is there a way to be contacted, other than the apple junk Itunes email that I unsubcribed to, when your the Pathaway app comes out?

iPhone4

Postby iPhone4 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Take a look at this side:

http://gpscradle.dualav.com/

GPS receiver + battery pack, this is what I would recommand for Pathaway's upcoming iPhone version.

Regards,
Mathias

juanch

Postby juanch » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:38 pm

You can count me in as a customer for the iPhone app. My wish list for the app:

1. A 3D feature would be nice (if possible?).
2. iPod (music) control should be available while on GPS mode
3. App w/ ability to speak
4. Scroll-wheel for points & database
5. Mac OS Map Manager that will allow creation of routes

GoochyB

Postby GoochyB » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:40 am

And make sure that it is compatible with the ipod Touch as well as the iphone - these new external GPS units like the dual one will work with the Touch as with the pre-GPS iPhones.

I'm really looking forward to this!

rtoews

Postby rtoews » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 am

Yes, I too am looking forward to an iPhone version of Pathaway after years of hiking, kayaking, and backcountry driving using Pathaway 4 on my Tx!

Features I would most like to see:

a. ability to transfer existing databases from my Palm Tx to my iPhone;

b. ability to create my own self-calibrated maps from scans, image file downloads, etc as is currently possible using Pathaway 4

iPhone4

Postby iPhone4 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Any news on the Pathaway iPhone version? I guess iPhone OS 4 will make thinks a lot better and Pathaway will be able to run in background mode then. Would be great if you would let us participate a bit on the development progress. "Expected release is some time next year" is a wide range. Thanks!

Arturus

Postby Arturus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 pm

Just adding to the debate. I used to use a Palm many years ago - many models, lots of apps. PathAway was one of my favourites.

Visiting this site now seems like a 'blast from the past'. So much support for redundant systems and none at all for the best SmartPhone on the market... most strange!

On the iPhone there are quite a few really interesting GPS applications that work really well and get better almost on a monthly basis. The only thing bringing me back here is the vague promise of using my calibrated maps on the iPhone, but over time that is getting less relevant with the advent of good caching systems, etc. In the UK the OS Maps are now available to purchase or free download even. So hurry up and get PathAway woking on the iPhone or you might just get left behind :-)

harry-th

Postby harry-th » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:21 pm

I can only confirm what Arturus is mentioning. I am also already now using similar APPs like B.iCycle which has at least some of the functionality of Pathaway. Just now a Fugawi APP was published which has Topo Maps all of Germany included. But they want to sell those maps together with the APP and I already have them.
But all those APPs are lacking the ability to load own calibrated maps which is really a major advantage for Pathaway.
So please please give at least some information on the date of availability of the iPhone version

haddonhill

Postby haddonhill » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:14 pm

I finally migrated from my old Palm-based Garmin iQue to an iPod Touch, and the app I miss the most is PathAway. No other application lets me create my own calibrated topo, geologic, and trail maps.

If I can use my iTouch along with the Dual GPS cradle (http://gpscradle.dualav.com/) and can migrate over my existiing maps, I will definitely be a customer!

A nice feature would be seamless maps.

mr_5a

Postby mr_5a » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:39 pm

The only reason why I have not moved myself to iPhone is Pathaway. Hope, there will be iPhone version soon.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:36 am

The first Edition of PathAway for the iPhone is now available on the App Store. Check out http://pathaway.com/PWiPhone.htm for more info.

More new features and advanced Editions to be released soon!

rtoews

Thanks for the iPhone version! But custom maps please!!!

Postby rtoews » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:47 am

Scott - thanks so much for getting Pathaway 5 for iPhone into the app store before year-end as you promised. I just installed it and have been playing around with it (I've used Pathaway 4 for years on my Palm T3 and Tx). My first impressions are mainly good. I find the dashboard style menus a bit confusing, but I'm starting to figure out where things are. I wouldn't call it intuitive but it works. The various symbols are a little rough around the edges but that is something you can refine down the road. I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars in an app review but would have given it a 5 out of 5 if the ability to load custom maps had been included. Please, please add this functionality. I've got a huge collection of custom maps I've calibrated for my Palm Pathaway 4 (including digital versions of the Mussio Backroad maps for western Canada) which I would love to use on my iPhone. Without this feature you may have trouble standing out from the iPhone GPS app pack. I've been using Gaia GPS and it is pretty good as well - but I'll switch in a minute if you make custom maps work on Pathaway 5 iPhone!

Return to “General Suggestions”