Backup/restore

Share your PathAway information and experiences with others

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

MarcG

Backup/restore

Postby MarcG » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 am

My WinMobile PDA stays at the cottage (no power when we aren't there) for long enough that it frequently loses all power and goes into a cold restart when I plug it back in.

I can use the transfer utility to backup and restore my personal data, but having to reinstall each time is a pain, since I have to trash all the tutorial and sample stuff, reregister, and so on.

I'm wondering if I can just use activesync to save "Program Files\Pathaway" and "My Documents\Pathaway" onto my notebook and then copy them back after I restart my PDA.

So, will this kind of "XCopy Install" work and where else does Pathaway stick stuff that I have to save/restore?

Also, somewhere along the line, I created some points and assigned an icon (I think the skull and crossbones). I've been through several reinstalls and transfers of my point database, and my points no longer show this icon. When I try to set the icon again, I get a much shorter list of icons to choose from than I had originally. Any thoughts on this?

thx all

Marc

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Re:
I'm wondering if I can just use activesync to save "Program Files\Pathaway" and "My Documents\Pathaway" onto my notebook and then copy them back after I restart my PDA.

You can do it for the data "\My Documents\PathAway", but I don't recommend doing it for the executables. You should do a normal install then overwrite the "\My Documents\PathAway" folder with your ActiveSync copy.

Re:
points no longer show this icon

You need to keep the Icons.prc and GRM.prc in your "\My Documents\PathAway" folder. These hold the extra icons.

Return to “General Information Share”