Tool to make PathAway Maps from Google Maps

Share your PathAway information and experiences with others

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

OttawaGolf

Postby OttawaGolf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:15 am

Also, is it possible to select Google Erath or Google maps as your preference? I have Gogle Earth Plus and I'd like to use the higher res images if possible.

Anders

Postby Anders » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:24 am

I think it's kept like a "secret" to begin with.

I don't know if it's possible to extract the images. But I think the hybrid gives much better detail and contrast.

Anders

Postby Anders » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:26 am

OttawaGolf wrote:Also, is it possible to select Google Erath or Google maps as your preference? I have Gogle Earth Plus and I'd like to use the higher res images if possible.

Will you really get higher res. with the plus version? I thought it was just that you could download larger images ....

:?: :?:

OttawaGolf

Postby OttawaGolf » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:42 am

depends on the area. In some cases higher res images are available than on google maps for sure.

StuBee

Mapaway "Jump to point"

Postby StuBee » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:45 am

When I choose Jump to Point...and enter a GPS coordinate, it doesn't go to the same map location that goole earth does.

Am I entering the info wrong, or does this feature not quite work on Mapaway?

j&b

Re: Mapaway "Jump to point"

Postby j&b » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:48 pm

StuBee wrote:When I choose Jump to Point...and enter a GPS coordinate, it doesn't go to the same map location that goole earth does.

Am I entering the info wrong, or does this feature not quite work on Mapaway?

Would you tell us the value you entered?
As we confirmed, Jump to Point function works well until now.
It will be thankful for asking it in http://www.iippo.net/zboard/zboard.php?id=QA .

j&b

Postby j&b » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:53 pm

OttawaGolf wrote:depends on the area. In some cases higher res images are available than on google maps for sure.

You can make a map from google earth image by importing a captured image. (ie, custom mode)
But, as we cannot get coordinates automatically from google earth, you should enter coordinates of upper-left and bottom-right.
Thanks.

mshere

missing dll

Postby mshere » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:48 am

similar to some previous posts - when I try to run mapaway, I get a message saying "The dynamic link library PWMapLIB could not be found in the specified path" and it mentions several paths.

The .dll in question clearly is there when I look and I have tried putting it in the other paths as well, but I can't get Mapaway to even start. I have tried several versions. Windows 2000 service pack 4.

Anyone else had this problem? It sounds like a great programme.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:16 pm

My installation of MapAway looks for that DLL in the same directory where MapAway itself is installed. (In my case, running Win XP, it's in C:\Program Files\Mapaway) If you ensure the DLL exists there, from what I can see, MapAway should find it...

If it doesn't find it there, your best bet is to use a small program called "FileMon" from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html - It runs in the background and logs every attempt at every file access by any other programs on your system - Whether the loading of a file is successful or not, FileMon will show you where each program LOOKED FOR a file before failing. I use it constantly - It's how I initially figured out where that missing DLL needed to be.

Dodger

mshere

missing DLL

Postby mshere » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:26 am

Many thanks. Interestingly filemon crashes when I try to open mapaway! which suggests some major mischief at work. Any other thoughts?

Mike

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:36 am

Filemon crashes? Wow, I've been using it for ages on dozens of different systems & never seen it crash... What operating system are you running?

Dodger

voytek

Re: Tool to make PathAway Maps from Google Maps

Postby voytek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:58 am

j&b wrote:Hi, there..

Finally, project of new map tools for PathAway was released.
http://www.iippo.net/jb/mapaway/
This is free, easy and convinient to make maps of USA, EU, Japan and Canada.

J&B

I realize this is an old post, thanks for the Mapaway 1.8.0.195 tool, just downloaded it

does anyone has any updated config '.map' files for it ?

the ones that come with it seem to barf on most, except for google api setup

also, where do you config Mapaway to snapshot multiple maps in different resolutions ?

thanks, Voytek

Dhrun

Postby Dhrun » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:15 am

Ive used mapaway but the main problem with google maps as the source is it does not show footpaths and rights of way etc at least they dont in the UK anyway.

My current source of maps is Multimap in OS mode, they now align them with Lat Long instead of the OS grid.

Use the free program Mapgrabber to get any size of jpg from Multimap, place the created jpg as an overlay in Google Earth and move it around till its a perfect match.

Stick a temporary pin at the corners of this overlay and you can copy and patch the Lat Long into map manager :)

voytek

Postby voytek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Dhrun wrote:My current source of maps is Multimap in OS mode, they now align them with Lat Long instead of the OS grid.

thanks

how do you put Multimap into OS mode ?

Return to “General Information Share”