Palm Centro Bluetooth GPS

Frequently Asked Questions

Moderator: Scott

Scott
Site Admin

Palm Centro Bluetooth GPS

Postby Scott » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:34 am

The Centro (and some newer Palm OS Treos and TX's) are reported to only connect to a Bluetooth GPS if the port is set to "rfcn" (not bluetooth).

csbdeady

Postby csbdeady » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I have a Palm Centro, and am evaluating PathAway 4.

Observations when making a connection to the Garmin XT GPS that comes as part of the "Centro + GPS kit" currently being sold on the UK site:

Good things:

1) Bluetooth connection is fine ("Bluetooth" selected for the Port) - PathAway 4 connected every time with no problems at all :)
2) Protocol has to be either NMEA or Garmin-NMEA, as Garmin-Garmin won't connect;
3) I've no idea what Baud rate I should be using, but I set 9600 as a guess and I can see lots of data streaming onto the screen, so I guess that's working then ;)

Bad things:

A) When I am outside my front door I am obviously at a lower elevation than when near a window one floor up, BUT PathAway 4 reckons that the ground is actually 20ft higher than my upstairs *lol* - I'll investigate this some more...

B) I walked 50ft down the road but PathAway 4 still reckoned I was in the same location - this could just be a setup issue though as I only had an hour to try it out last night.

Conclusion: It works with Centro (UK version at least) and Bluetooth, but may need a bit of fiddling to get it to work accurately.
-Colin

csbdeady

Postby csbdeady » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:05 pm

Update: With my wife driving, I was able to play with PathAway and my Garmin GPS receiver some more data was shown on the screen with no problems. I noticed about a 2 second lag but other than that it was fine, for example, when she reached 30mph it took about 2 secs for PathAway to show the same speed.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:03 am

I *could* be mistaken, but in my experience, Pathaway is displaying whatever the GPS sends to it pretty much instantly... Pathaway is simply reading the data being sent to it via the bluetooth serial port and updating your whereabouts on the display as soon as it gets the coordinates. Possibly there is a delay being introduced by the GPS itself, possibly the bluetooth link, or maybe Pathaway just runs very slowly on your device - On my Palm TX with a BT339 (iTrek M3) GPS, I find that my location, speed, etc. seem to update pretty much in real time...

Dodger

csbdeady

Postby csbdeady » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks Dodger :)
To be honest, a ~2 second delay on my Centro does not concern me as I'll only be using the GPS when walking around with my digital camera (when driving I'd normally use Garmin's GPS mapping), and to be honest I don't walk that far in 2 seconds *grin*.
-Colin

sesmith

Postby sesmith » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:21 am

I'm also using Pathaway with a palm centro and a freedom keychain gps. Setup was straight forward (bluetooth port, NMEA protocol). You can do an autodetect to figure the baud rate (in my case 115200, which agrees with the specs for my gps). Update is almost instantaneous, certainly within the 2 sec you noticed. I had some issues with tracking stopping with a bluetooth interruption (see support forum) which may be solved. Pathaway works great with the centro. FWIW, the mapaway program is a must have addition to pull maps off of yahoo (or google). I'm also getting topo maps from USGS and nautical charts from NOAA. all free of charge.

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - FAQs”