FIXED: Importing GPX causes soft reset

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Scott,

I can understand that during the last few months you were pretty busy in releasing V5 for WinMob, but finally it is out. Do you see any change to get back to work on this gpx problem now?

I used PW for a two-weeks bike tour in southern France in September and from my point of view there a no necessary features missing. PW for Palm has a great feature set and is running sufficient stable. The only remaining problem is now the "gpx reset". :cry:

I'd be happy in assisting you nailing down the error.

Thanks,
Guenther

ZehHa

Postby ZehHa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Günter!

While waiting for a solution, you could try MapAWay. You can not only convert maps, you can convert and sync your waypoints, tracks, and routes as well.

HTH

Regards

Carsten

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:24 am

I've posted a build 4.00.89 that should fix the problem with the Treo importing GPX files. It is at http://pathaway.com/prerelease4/

Please try it out and see how it works for you.

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately this fix did not help. I still get the reset (even when I export in PW a short track to gpx and try to import it back). :cry:

On top of this this version introduced a second bug: when I try to add a waypoint by typing on the map I get a reset after pressing the ok button. This worked in 4.00.87.

When I look at the persons who have the gpx problem it seems to be that they are all coming from a non-US location and have obviously a non-US version of the Palm OS. Maybe you should have a deeper look into that. Especially as importing of gpx-files created by PW itself is not working.

I'd be happy to beta test any version you have. If you have a debug message enabled version it is even better. Currently the only message I got when checking with "trace" is "pathaway ... Fatal exception" which is not very helpful.

I can understand that the Version 5 for WinMob is more important to you, especially as Palm does their best to kill this great platform. The current feature set of PW for Palm is in my opinion very good and aside from from some eye candy it is missing nothing. But at least these features have to be stable. So if it is lack of free time why not let us help you by testing betas. I'm a Palm programmer by myself and understand debug messages etc.

Best regards,
Guenther

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Finally reproduced. Now this should (hopefully) fix the Import GPX problem. Re-Posted 4.00.89. Please try it now.

I could not reproduce the Add Point crash you mentioned. If it still happens to you then I'll send a debug build, or you may need to send me the Points database (.pdb) you are saving to.

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:12 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick fix. We're making progress! :)

Importing of PW-created GPX and loc files works now. My testfile_1.gpx with 500 points also works. The other two test files (1a and 1b) just create harmless error messages about some syntax error which is good because these files were (probably incorrectly) edited versions of the first one. Dodgers and mobilemikes files are still causing a reset. But this time I got at least some more information with "trace":
"StringMgr.c, Line:367, string too long (>64k)".

Maybe it has something to do with the PalmOS max record size. :idea:

HTH
Guenther

P.S.: The add point bug is gone now. Thanks!

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:17 am

Here is another 4.00.89. The last fix "Unfixed" the original fix for files > 64k. This new build should now cover everything. Please give it a go.

Guenther Erhard

Postby Guenther Erhard » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi Scott,

Wow - this was fast!
After some tests with different gpx-files I think it works now. :D

Thanks a lot!
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Near!

Best regards,
Guenther

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”