Downloading recorded tracks to my PC?

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

chrisp9au

Downloading recorded tracks to my PC?

Postby chrisp9au » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 am

Hi,

I've only just started using Pathaway, and so far I'm very happy with the results!
I'm retired and plan to use my Pathaway for all my walking and hiking. I might even get involved in a bit of Geo-caching.
I'm running Pathaway 4 SE on a Palmone Lifedrive together with a Holux M-1000C GPS data logger, having successfully generating maps from Google Earth and Google Maps.
My first trial trip was by car yesterday, about 224km round trip to see my daughter in Ballarat. Very happy with the accuracy!
Today I went for my daily walk in a nature reserve close to home. I set Pathaway to record every 5 meters, and have successfully completed the recording.

I'm wondering how I go about downloading the completed track data from the Lifedrive to my laptop, and what software is available for viewing my generated map with the overlay of my recorded data?

Can the Pathaway Map Manager or Mapaway do this?

In anticipation of lots of advice, thank you!

Chris

chrisp9au

Postby chrisp9au » Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 am

henrycollins512 wrote:any update?

Yes, things have changed a bit since then.
I now have a Palm TX which is a much better option.
Various programs around, the best being GPSBabel, http://www.gpsbabel.org/
This allows me to convert my tracks into overlays for Google Earth and lots of other formats.

Cheers

Chris

chrisp9au

Postby chrisp9au » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 am

I should add that the tracks recorded on the Palm TX are backed up when syncing with my laptop.

All backup files are stored in folder:

C:\Users\username1\My Documents\Palm OS Desktop\username2\Backup

where username1 is your desktop/laptop username, and username2 is your Palm device username. (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit)

Cheers

Chris

chrisp9au

Postby chrisp9au » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 am

Henry,

Mapaway is a good program for generating your own maps using Google Maps as a source.
The Pathaway Map Manager is useful for generating maps when you have accurate co-ordinates to use for calibration. Bit of a learning curve, but persistence pays!

OKMaps is another program to check out.

Cheers

Chris

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”