Time radius => slooooooooooow map repaint

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS

Moderator: Scott

yvon

Time radius => slooooooooooow map repaint

Postby yvon » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:41 pm

Hi,

I'm using 1/25000 topo maps calibrated with TTQV3.

When I activate the time radius display option (with a custon speed of 60 km/h, so I get the circles in "km", which is more useful than in minutes when walking), the repainting of the map is slowed down to a point it is unusable : when moving the map with the stylus, it takes 35 seconds to update the map on my Tungsten T5. The first time it happened, I've reseted the Palm, thinking it was crashed.

Same map, same location, same repaint when the time circles are off : fraction of a second.

After investigation, it seems to work better when I removed the circles at 120 mn (or km) and 240 (mn or km) => they were largely bigger than my map. That way it works Ok => somewhere a test like "is the radius in the map" and "is the radius on the screen" is lacking ?

Another option is to use a speed of 6 km/h. That way you can distance radius with 100 m step, and have a nice hectometer grid. No repaint problem that way

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 pm

I would be surprised if a repaint problem was because of the Time Radials. There is not database lookup involved so they're very quick. There is also a bounds check. I'll test it out myself, but perhaps there is another issue slowing the program (like a low memory situation)

Suky

Postby Suky » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:24 am

Scott wrote:I would be surprised if a repaint problem was because of the Time Radials...

I was also surprised :-)

I suffered the some way - some maps (but only a few) in some places only (not in whole area of these maps) were repainted so slowly that I could not use this map in terrain.

And it showed some strange help lines (its shape was changing by moving map). See Snap.jpg

I have attached also one example of slowly repainted map.

And it helped to delete values 120 and 240 from Range Time Radial!!!
Attachments
jadran_040.prc
Example of slowly repainted map
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Snap.jpg
Strange "Help line" is somehow connected with slowly repainted map
Snap.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

Anders

Postby Anders » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 am

I have not seen any of those problems. And I am using some really large maps (~22MB).

Return to “PathAway GPS 4 SE for Palm OS - Support”