Garmin vector maps?

Forum for questions and problems regarding PathAway GPS 5 PRO for Windows Mobile
jpgrohn

Garmin vector maps?

Postby jpgrohn » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:03 am

I have tried get my Garmin maps to work without success. What and how I should use my Garmin map files to get them work?

p.s.1 I found that I should be enough to put files to registered folder. Hmmm. Maybe I have too much raster maps.

I have HTC TyTN and when Pathaway 5 freezez itself, memory handling can't kill program, and only way is reset phone.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:41 pm

Yes,
You put the Garmin IMG maps in a registered folder, then start PathAway.
Open the Options->Maps dialog. In Sections, choose "Vector Maps".

Select a map and choose "Show". PathAway should center the map on the location of the Garmin IMG file. Depending on how the layers are defined, you may have to zoom in to see the vector data.

Also, some Garmin IMG Maps are locked, which means they're encrypted and cannot be read by PathAway.

There may also be a memory limitation if the Vector map is very large (ie. 10mb+).

gpsrookie

Garmin Vector Maps

Postby gpsrookie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi,

I poste my questions better here (I already posted them in section pre-release, sorry! I will delete them.):

What does it mean exactly? Is it not possible to use original vector maps from Garmin? That wouldn't be fine. Because this feature in PathAway GPS 5 Professional:

"Direct Garmin IMG (non-routeable) vector map support. Simply place
the IMG file in a PathAway registered folder and it will display as an
overlay on the raster maps."

was a main reason for me to by the software.

Beside of this, i have tried this free vector map http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/maplis ... category=1 from mapcenter. The size of the file is about 1 MByte.

But it's the same behaviar as Werner (Delago) told. Nothing is displayed. "Preferences / Show Vector Maps" is activated, also the map in "maps / vector maps" is activated. What am I doing wrong? Please could you help me.

To visualize garmin vector maps in Pathaway is a very good feature and I would like to use it.

Update:
when I unmark the option "Preferences / Map / Show Vector Maps / Transparent Polygons" then I can see the free map. But when I zoom out the map the cpu load of my pda (Eten Glofiish X800) raise up to 75% to 100% for process PathAway5.exe (seen with MemMaid). This condition doesn't change any more, so that I have to reboot my pda. What ist wrong? Are there to many details in the vector map or does the algorithm has a problem to handle this size of map? Or is the map corrupted?

Many questions, but I hope you can help me. I'm using the newest downloadable version: GPS 5 Professional Edition 5.00.17

Further Update:
I update to version 5.00.18. But it's the same problem.

Thanks a lot
Stefan

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Exactly which map causes the problem? There are a number listed on this page. If we can reproduce the problem then it can be fixed.

Juha

Postby Juha » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:45 pm

I have also downloaded a trial of this version to test the Garmin .img files. This would be the reason to buy the software. I made a test with my official Finnish topo -mapset. (Unlocked, works in my MapSource and in My Garmin Quest and Mobile XT. This topo-mapset do not have any unlock procedures). Mapset is a set of about 50 .img files, around 2Mb in size each. I am able to see part of an image when selected as described in this topic earlier. However when trying to zoom the image, PathAway will disappear (chrash).
When starting the application (PathAway) I have about 30mb free RAM memory (WM 6.0 classic). I would like to hear comments of limitations with Garmin maps. Is it possible to keep several (small) Garmin maps visible? Does the software pan from one map to another?
The possibility to use Garmn maps would be a rekmarkable feature, since after famous Garmin iQue 3600, the offroad features in Garmin software have gone down....unfortunately.

gpsrookie

Postby gpsrookie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:36 pm

[quote="Scott"][quote]Re: http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/maplis ... category=1 from mapcenter[/quote]

Exactly which map causes the problem? There are a number listed on this page. If we can reproduce the problem then it can be fixed.[/quote]

The binary file (580kB) causes the problem. When you unzip the file you get a file called 49030556.img. The size is 905 KB. I attach it.

Best regards
Stefan
Attachments
Berlin BBBike-bin.zip
(565.84 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

gpsrookie

Garmin Vector Maps

Postby gpsrookie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Scott,

did you find something out concerning Garmin Vector Maps? Please give me a hint what's wrong.

Greetings
Stefan

sardinien

Postby sardinien » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi Scott,

thanks for Pathaway 5 pro.

.img files only showed, if the buttons:

Track up Always
Track Up when connected

are no activated. Is this regular?

Servus Gerd - N48.31538 E9.24062

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 am

Further improvements made to in pre-release 5.00.19 now at http://pathaway.com/prerelease5/

Berlin BBBike map now works fine for us.

Regarding the "Track up". The maps should show regardless of this setting. Try the latest 5.00.19.

sardinien

Postby sardinien » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:23 pm

Scott wrote:Regarding the "Track up". The maps should show regardless of this setting. Try the latest 5.00.19.

The .img map doesnt show continuous in "Track up" mode.

Test with 5.00.19.

gpsrookie

Postby gpsrookie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Scott,

thank's a lot for your help! I have installed the pre-release 5.00.19. I've tested it with an original Garmin vector-map from Berlin-Mitte (Garmin Topo Germany) and it works fine. At the same time i've loaded a raster-map from the same region and it still works fine. It's really a great feature to overlay *.img-vector-maps over raster-maps!!! I think that works already before. Probably I didn't zoom in deep enough to see the vector-map details.

But, i still have problems with the BBBike map. Always when i zoom four steps in PathAway freezes and a windows mobile error message is shown, where i could send (or not) an error protocol to Microsoft. Sometimes i get the same problems >only< when i move a raster-map on the display! And then i have to softreset my pda, because there is no other way to kill the PathAway.exe-process.

I notice (with the Software MemMaid) there is a very high cpu-load when PathAway is loading the BBBike map. After the map is displayed (loaded) the cpu-load goes down. When i zoom in step by step from view range 616 km to 44,3 km the cpu-load is always raising up to a very high value (70 – 100%) and at the end PathAway5.exe crashes with a windows mobile error message. Then the only way to kill PathAway is to do a softreset. With taskmanger it's not possible to kill the programm.

What did you do that BBBike map works fine for you? I've got a vga-display (Eten Glofiish X800). Is this a problem?

Hope you can help!

Best regards

Stefan

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:31 am

The BBike map has a very large amount of data even at the higher layers. So it does take awhile to load initially. When you zoom in, a layer may be unloaded and a new layer loaded, which again can take some time. Note that only the visible portions of a map are loaded at a time. At lower levels, the entire map may be visible which would take some time to load.

I've attempted further to try to reproduce your problem, but no luck so far. Perhaps it has to do with a certain area of the map, or you might need to send me the raster map you use with it.

gpsrookie

Postby gpsrookie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:53 pm

sardinien wrote:
Scott wrote:Regarding the "Track up". The maps should show regardless of this setting. Try the latest 5.00.19.

The .img map doesnt show continuous in "Track up" mode.

Test with 5.00.19.

Hi Scott,

i confirm what sardinien said: the *.img-map doesn't show continous. The map does only show when you move in north-direction, so north is up on the display. But when you move in another direction, so that the map on the display has to turn, the *.img-map disappears.

HolgerIssle

Postby HolgerIssle » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:57 pm

and, see my other post, it does NOT work on my Ipqy 2750 with Win2003SE. Despite all the tips given here, in the TTQV forum, and in the pocketnavigation.de forum.

However, no reply. :-(

sardinien

Postby sardinien » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Scott,

the .img map doesnt show continuous in "Track up" mode.

The same problem with 5.00.21.
HTC Diamond with WM 6.1 pro

Return to “PathAway 5 PRO for Windows Mobile - Support”