Can't connect to NMEA compatible device

General Frequently Asked Questions

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Scott
Site Admin

Can't connect to NMEA compatible device

Postby Scott » Thu May 12, 2005 12:00 am

I Can't connect to my NMEA compatible device. I have all the proper cable and adapter but cannot get a connection.

Scott
Site Admin

Troubleshooting NMEA GPS connection

Postby Scott » Thu May 12, 2005 12:03 am

The most common problem seen for GPS connection is improper baud rate selection. Ensure your GPS device communications baud rate matches the baud rate in the PathAway GPS Configuration dialog.

To set baud rate in PathAway, select the menu GPS->GPS Configure. In this dialog, ensure the baud rate is set to match that on the device. Also ensure the device protocols match. Some Garmin units have selectable Garmin proprietary interface, and NMEA interface. PathAway supports either for these units. Just ensure the device matches the PathAway setting.

Once you've ensured the communications match, hook up the GPS and press "Connect". You should see the stream of data indicating there is a connection.

If you still cannot get a connection, perhaps the problem is with your cable. On a Palm, you cannot use a HotSync cable to connect to your GPS cable. You need to insert a NULL modem in between the two, or get a modem adapter cable for the Palm.

Return to “General FAQs”