GPS 4 -Standard Edition has now been released for both Palm
OS and Windows Mobile/Pocket PC platforms.
Here are some of the exciting new features added for PathAway
- Multimedia Points: Add Photos and Sound to captured
points. Included support for Camera phones for Photo capture.
Click on points and play their sound or display the picture.
Proximity indicator shows a thumbnail of the nearest point
(if there). Click on the thumbnail for a full view of the
- Track Up Navigation: Automatic or manual Map rotation
in 90 degree increments. Set your map to automatically rotate
to your direction of travel.
- New View Screens: GPS Sky View, Satellite Data
View, and Compass View. GPS Status views let you see the
strength of your GPS signals. Compass view provides large
size graphical display compass showing heading, steer course,
turn instructions and more...
- Goto Location: Enter specific location coordinates
to position map
- PocketMode Feature : You can now track via your
GPS, and save battery life at the same time. Once you enter
PocketMode, PathAway turns off the screen (or backlight
depending on device), and locks the keys but continues to
record GPS data to your track log. If you using a Bluetooth
GPS, simply connect the GPS, enter Pocket Mode, and put
the handheld in your Pocket! No need to worry about accidentally
hitting keys to issue unwanted commands. Use the special
key sequence (or power button) to exit Pocket mode and return
to the View screen.
- Split Track Here: "Click on a track point
and "Split" the track into two at the selected
point. Great for dividing up lengthy tracks that only need
to be in separate segments.
- Calibrate by 3 or More Known Points: Now you can
Calibrate maps that do not have horizontal and vertical
longitude and latitude lines, and do not have a known projection.
PathAway 4 features new algorithms to accurately calibrate
maps by choosing 3 or more known points. Map no longer needs
to have perfectly horizontal latitude and vertical longitude
lines. Calibration can be done via Map Manager, or on the
handheld by selecting the known points on the map.
- Primary and Secondary Position Coordinate Display:
Choose two different Position coordinates to display on
the dashboard. Now you can show both lat/long and UTM (or
any other supported Grid format) at the same time. Or choose
a different Datum to display in.
- Select Any Datum or Grid format for display: Previously,
You could only display the datum used by the current map.
Now you can select any datum for use on the display. Even
select different datum's for primary and secondary coordinates.
- New Coordinate Grids: Quebec-MTM, MGA, GGRS87,
Swedish Grid, Irish grid, Israel Grid
- New Datum's: RT90, GD94, EGSA87
- Toolbar Hide/Show: Expand your view of the screen
by hiding the toolbar. Windows Mobile versions can hide
the toolbar, or the top Taskbar to give you the entire screen
for viewing. On Windows Mobile, now hide the Top Taskbar
- Manual And Proximity based Route Point Targeting:
Manual means user must select "Advance Route Point"
before PathAway will target the next point in sequence.
Proximity means you must enter within a proximity of a route
point before the next point will be automatically targeted.
- Measure distance between 2 points: Want to know
the distance between 2 points on the map? Simply select
Measure... from the Popup menu, and click on the 2 points.
- Large size Icon and Text Menu display: Double
the size of the icons for better viewing, or enlarge the
text on the menus for arms-length viewing, or easier finger
- Coordinate Grid Lines on Map: Show the latitude
and longitude lines on the map. Automatically determines
best gapping between lines to keep the screen uncluttered.
- Import GPS data from Data Logger NMEA file: Download
data logged in your Data Logger GPS, (I.e.. RoyalTek BlueGPS.)
and import the NMEA file directly into PathAway.
- Support for SDIO GPS: Now use your SDIO slot as
you GPS receiver. Direct support for SDIO GPS devices added.
Ie. Stellus StarNet SDIO GPS.
- New Data Import Formats: GPX, LOC Supported via
PathAway PC Conversion Tools, or handheld from the new "Import..."
option via Database dialogs. Great for GeoCache users.
- Elevation alarms and warnings: Receive audible
alerts when you rise above or fall below specified elevations
in relation to the track or route you're following.
- GPS fix acquired and lost alarms: Receive audible
alerts when a GPS fix is acquired or lost.
- Custom Alarm Sounds: Add your own sound clips
to be used for any of the available alarms. Even attach
a sound to a specific point to be played as the "in-proximity"
- On-Map Display of Estimated Travel Time: PathAway
displays the ETE on the map by showing rings indicating
the time to reach points on the map. By default, ETEs are
set in 1,2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 minute intervals. Customizable
in the Preferences>Time dialog.
- GPS Connection Retrys: Option to maintain trying
to connect to GPS even if communications are temporarily
- Set Speed and distance decimal precision: Now
modify the decimal places to show on the screens used for
reporting distances. Preferences-System.
- Depth Tracking: Option to record "Depth"
(if available) in elevation data field instead of altitude.
- "Auto Detect" baud rate: Turn on Auto
Detect, and system will cycle through baud rates until if
begins to receive a valid stream. GPS Configure Dialog
- Elevation Correction: Automatically adjust elevation
to correct for SIRF II Elevation error, or set a fixed elevation
adjustment to be applied to all elevation data received
The following features have been added to PathAway GPS
4 for Palm OS. These features already exist in the PathAway
GPS 3.1 for Windows Mobile:
- Folders Management: Select Folders on Storage
cards for accessing maps and Data.
- Bluetooth Detection: Remember last Bluetooth Device
- Hard Key Mapping: customize or disable the hard
- Time zones: Now select in 1/2 hr increments.
- New Dashboard info: Time to Next point, Time to
- GPS Configure-Advanced Options: Added option to
set the timeout between checking GPS data, and communications
- Line to Next Point, Line to Next Turn, Circle Next
point: In Preferences-Map Display, options to show/hide
Line to Next Point, Line to Next Turn, Circle Next point
and turn using Proximity distance parameters.
- Calculate Area of a Route or Track: Track or route
must be set as Activated, or Follow. Context menu (click
on map) Route Menu > Calculate Area or Track Menu >
- Pinpoint feature to improve the accuracy of a
captured point. Stand still and take multiple samples to
average the current location, and pinpoint the accuracy.
Note: Some of these features already exist in PathAway
GPS 3 for Windows Mobile. PathAway GPS 4 now has identical
functionality for both Windows Mobile and Palm OS platforms.