Map Manager import with Huge Maps

Questions and problems regarding PathAway Map Manager

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

Map Manager import with Huge Maps

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:37 pm

Hello,

I downloaded the pathaway trial version (PalmOS), but I am having troubles with converting maps with MapManager.

I try to convert a jpg-image 11800x5400 pixels (12Mb file size) ... but MapManager crashes. (program is reported by WinXP "Not responding")

(When I select a small part of this file with Photoshop and try to convert this small file everything is ok)

Is there a maximum file size or pixel size that MapManager can handle ?

swag

Map manager appears to crash but is still working

Postby swag » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:27 am

Hi,

I have had a similar experience with the Map manager, especially when calibrating larger maps.

I found that if you try to do anything else on the computer while Map manager is reading the file then it seems to freeze. Even if the screen saver comes on while it is reading the file, it appears to stop responding.

Check the "?? images, ???KB" used on the bottom lefthand side of the program window. When this stops counting, the program is looks like it is frozen, and Windows task manager reports that the program is not responding.

I did find however, that if I left it alone, eventually it finished reading the imported file and it would continue running, and the Windows task manager would also report it as running again. This ofcourse may take some time depending on your system and the size of the map.

Strange...

Patience and Good Luck,
Swag

padluke

Postby padluke » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Halooooo :-))
Is there a maximum file size or pixel size that MapManager can handle?

passaro

Postby passaro » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Hello,

I have sucessfully converted some bitmaps around 12 MB, in .png format, without any problem.

However Map Manager is somewhat slow doing large conversions. If the application looses the focus in Windows, then it does not resume the progress info updating, but the program is still working.

Normally I try to optimize the original map by improving contrast, reducing the number of colors and save the file as a palleted 256 colors .png file.

Polarlys

Postby Polarlys » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:43 pm

padluke wrote:Halooooo :-))
Is there a maximum file size or pixel size that MapManager can handle?

Hi padluke,

as far as i found out MapManager seems to have a pixel size limit of aproximately 204 million pixels per file (10000 tiles/images with 160x128 px each). File size depends on color depth and compression.

(Edit 2008-06-08: Values corrected)

Return to “PathAway Map Manager”