Pathway Express Edition feedback

Questions and problems
printf

Pathway Express Edition feedback

Postby printf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:31 am

Hi!

I've installed the new Pathway Express on IPad and would like to give you some feedback.

- Map import is very tricky. If you didn't have bought some other tool to upload the map data to the Ipad in advance, you're kinda lost.
Itunes offers data uploading to applications. Why not use that?

- Points: I've tried to import a geocaching pocket query (gpx) with about 320 points. It was imported ok, but then Pathaway crashed.
I had to delete the imported points to get it somehow stable again. So this is useless ...

- When i use an uploaded map and then zoom out, at some point pathaway crashes. Best way to crash pathaway is
to zoom out and then move the map.

- Icons: The quality of all the icons in the app is very bad ...

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry you're having trouble with the app.

Can you please send me your Points database to test with.
You can send via private message, or contact us via the Contact form. The program was tested quite extensively so we're determined to make it 100% stable.

We are working on new methods to make the data import more seamless. I am not aware of the capability to upload data via iTunes. As far as I know, iTunes only allows photos, videos, an music to be uploaded.

I'll try out the map crashing problem as well.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Regarding the Map Data upload.
Easiest method is to zip up your maps and email them to yourself. Otherwise, you can send them to a file sharing website such as iDisk and browse to them using Safari.

In both cases, tap on the attachment and select the "Open with" command. Choose "PathAway Ex" to load the data into PathAway.

gung

file sharing via itunes

Postby gung » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 pm

There should be some official functions for developers making file sharing via itunes possible, since there are quite a few apps out there which are capable of that. The user will get an extra section below "Apps" in itunes where he can import and export files to the internal file-system offered by those apps.

screenshot demonstrating how this looks: http://daphnia.eu/pics/itunes-file-sharing.jpg

Eberhard

KMZ/KML Import

Postby Eberhard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:41 am

Hi,

jumping in here, as I have PA Ex on my iPad since yesterday.

Scott, you will remember me, I wrote a review of PA for the german NAVI Magazin some years ago.

I would agree that the import of maps is tricky. Maybe you could have a look at TwoNav, which also works with own maps.
If I want to import a map in TwoNav, the app creates a temporary ftp server and shows the login data (both iPpad and PC have to be in the same network). I just have to type the indicated ip, login, password and port 2121 into my ftp program and at once I am able to transfer maps, waypoints etc to the ipad. I consider this way even more easy than the way through iTunes.
Maybe you could add a solution like this.

But I have another question/problem. I'm experimenting today with transferring wp's to PA Ex and started with a location in Google Earth, a place in New York City. I've used the function "Mail as KML/KMZ". I tried both...
I have no problems to open the files in the mail app on my ipad and import them into PA Ex, but the position is wrong. The position shown in Pathaway is not NYC, but in the ocean somewhere west of Africa.

What am I doing wrong? I can send you the KML/KMZ files if you wish.

Eberhard

printf

Postby printf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:36 pm

First of all, thanks to scotty for the fast reply.
I will upload the gpx file asap.

Yesterday it took me a couple of hours to copy all my "Austria Map 4" maps which i generated with Touratech 4 (latest version), to the Ipad.
I'm using iStorage HD for transferring file to the Ipad.
Then, i "open in Pathaway" all the files, one by one, in iStorage and they get imported.
The maps have about 10000 x 5000 pixels/points/whatever which is the maximum size Touratech can generate.
The maps can be opened in Pathaway and they look great! But, when i move around on the map, sometimes Pathaway crashes, especially when i'm moving off one map to another neighboured map. Ipad needs to be rebooted after such crash, because it seems the Ipad get slow because of the crashing PathAway...
I would recommend to take a look at the possibly available codebase for VLC on IPad, because one can transfer files per ITunes to VLC directly.

Greetings
Andreas

printf

Postby printf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 pm

I've installed the newest update of PathAway on my Ipad yesterday. It says it is version 5.51.00.00 now.
GPX import now no longer crashes Pathaway and the icons of my geocaching pocket query look nicely. So thanks for that.

However: It keeps crashing when i zoom out (with finger gesture) and then start moving around. This happens only when i use the maps which i created with Touratech 4 from the "Austrian Map Fly 4".

The next strange behaviour happens when i switch to web maps. My Ipad has Internet connection and i can use googe earth or other tools which download map data from the internet. But Pathaway simply says "Error downloading map tile". I've tried to switch to google maps, openstreetmap and terraserver usa. All with the same result "error downloading map tile". Seems to be a new "feature" :))

gung

Postby gung » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:40 pm

The WebMap issue often occurs after upgrading. For the moment it helps to delete and reinstall the app.

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Further to the Webmaps issue. Yes we have only seen this from updating via iTunes installer. For some reason the WebMaps folder gets set to read-only.

To resolve you can also try going into the main device "Settings..." dialog, choose "PathAway", and turn on "Restore Defaults". Then run "PathAway" again to see if that makes a difference.

If you have to delete and reinstall, now that there is "iTunes File Sharing", you can make a copy of your PathAway Data folder first (all files including PathAway, and Webmaps folders). Delete and reinstall the app, then copy your saved datafiles back.

We're working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

printf

Postby printf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 am

setting "reset to defaults" helped to solve the webmaps issue.
thanks!

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for letting us know. I'll make this the recommended resolution.

Return to “PathAway for iOS - Support”