Meaning of GPS connectivity error messages ?

Questions and problems regarding connecting GPS Receivers.

Moderators: Scott, PathAway

tez

Meaning of GPS connectivity error messages ?

Postby tez » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 pm

Im trying to connect a sony clie TG50 to a Garmin eTrex. The Configure GPS screen says "searching", then displays

CTS : off, RTS :off, DSR : off

Is this really telling me that I have no signal on CTS, RTS and DTR ? Do I need a signal on all three ? Or does this error message mean something different ?

I ask because even if I put CTS, RST and DSR to the supply voltage, pathaway still reports the error.

tez

Postby tez » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:53 pm

Is there any other support or advice I can get on Pathaway that anyone knows about ? Basically I think the only guys that would know what these error message are would be the Pathaway authors. Anyone know how to get in touch with them ?

Pathaway is telling me I have a "framing error" with CTS:off, DTR:off, RTS:off. Exactly what its telling me Im not sure - does it mean its a bad cable, my port isnt working correctly or something else ? Im quiote sure I have the GPS and Pathaway set to 4800 baud NMEA, 8N1.

Can anyone shed any light ?

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm

If the configurations are all correct (as it seems), then the problem could be the cable. Have you tried connecting with any other GPS application?

tez

Postby tez » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:07 pm

Of course - now its easier I know that the CTS:off etc messages are normal, but the framing error isnt. So I was concentrating on the CTS/DTR signals suspecting they were wrong .... but that isnt an error being reported it seems. The framing error was - and you were right it was a bad cable.

many thanks.

Return to “GPS Receiver Support”