Do I need Touratech QV program or just the maps?

Discussions regarding the use of PathAway in conjunction with Quo-Vadis

Moderator: Scott

Nate

Do I need Touratech QV program or just the maps?

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 pm

I want to use the TTQ maps in my Pathaway. The TTQ website states that the US Maps are pre calibrated for TTQ. Will I be able to import those maps directly into the Pathaway Map Manager and retain the calibration or do I need to use the TTQ4 program to export the maps to a PAthaway format?

I am not very good at calibrating maps (lack of patience). I am looking for a solution to get USGS maps of Nevada into the Pathaway format so I won't get lost. LOL I'm just a lazy guy.

Thanks

Nate

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:12 pm

You need to use the TTQV software to convert and transfer their maps to PathAway. It's very easy to do.

First setup the options in the TTQV Options->Settings->Palm/PocketPC dialog, then just open the map and choose Export Map to PDA PathAway from the File menu. You can even select a smaller area of the map to send.

Recommended TTQV Settings:
Colors: 16-bit for Windows Mobile or PalmOS 5.x, 4-bit for PalmOS less than 5.0
Compressed: On
Calibration mode: 3x3 wgs84
Compatibility: PW3 PPC or Palm (unless you use PathAway 2)
Also send a 25% overview map to Zoom in and out of the high resolution map.

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:50 am

Thanks, Scott. I've been playing with the eval version of TTQV. It is simple to use. But I've noticed it's not perfect. I downloaded several arial images of the local area from Google Maps and exported them to Pathaway. About half retained the calibration properly and the other half are off. Some are off by several miles while others are off only a few hundred yards. The ones that retained the calibration are perfect.

Am I going to run into the same problem using the TTQ topo maps I purchase? I don't want to spend this kind of money and end up having to still do calibration on the maps. I already have USGS maps that I can calibrate...I have the whole state of Nevada digitized already.

Nate

Scott
Site Admin

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:59 am

Are the maps calibrated properly inside Touratech software? If not, you are best to check with Touratech about this.
In my experience, Touratech maps are very accurate when converted and sent to PathAway.

Are you using 3x3 calibration mode?

Return to “Quo-Vadis (formerly Touratech-QV) and PathAway”